
Happens every time. July comes and before I know it, half the month is gone. Time to mentally prepare for back-to-school mode. I think the mental preparation is the hardest part for me.
Not ready to give up the time with my kids.
Not ready for the every day madness routines.
Not ready to realize all the things I wish I had done through the summer and didn't.
Not ready to end our spontaneous, fun-filled days.
This summer especially. As the end of July got closer I began to get a little anxious. I even began to feel a little overwhelmed at the "unknown." This would be a BIG school year of change for us.
First of all, I will have 3 children at 3 different schools. All starting at different times. (I take my children to school each day) PLUS seminary...where will that fit into our morning routine?!? Wait that reminds me...
No, no, no. FIRST of all, my son is starting HIGH SCHOOL!!!! That alone takes alot of mental preparation. I know we as parents say and hear it all the time, "They just grow up so fast", "Where does the time go", and "I can't believe my child is this old!"
But, I will say it again...
It just doesn't seem possible. My first born starting high school. I feel like I was just there. I can't believe he's old enough to face all the pressures and challenges that high school brings. Wow!
Then, Cameron would be switching schools to attend the all-5th grade school, so that would be a big change for her. She would be switching classes also on top of that, which is completely new to her. She is one who doesn't like to alter from her routine much. There again, I was a little uneasy and unsure.
Next. (Since my order has been rearranged according to importance) My job as a preschool teacher would be going from part-time to full time. Which I am very excited about, it is what I wanted...but with all the changes it had me a little nervous. Especially after finding out the other teacher I work with would not be starting until mid September, so I would be starting out the year with 16 new children and a sub.
Then, not to mention, I would be 6 months preggo starting school. I just wasn't sure as to how it was all going to go. Just alot of change. Then to have it all change again in November when sweet baby is born, and readjust to all new routines just had me a little uncertain.
But, we knew it was unevitable. It was coming. So we shopped early for school supplies and enjoyed our last days of our 2010 summer. Soon we would be meeting the teachers. I was feeling quite prepared, yet anxious.
Kyle had been "hoping" for a certain teacher. Well, this certain teacher happened to be a dear friend of mine. So to try and protect him from disappointment, I kept trying to persuade him to think of a different teacher. Truly thinking there was NO way Kyle was going to get her as a teacher. Until my phone rang and it was her. She pretended I was just another name on her list of parents to call and said, "Mrs Holland, I just wanted you to know I am going to be your son's teacher this year." It took a few minutes for me to actually believe her, but I couldn't wait to tell Kyle the news!! When I told him, his eyes completely lit up and were filled with excitement! And responded with, "I KNEW she was going to be my teacher!! You know why mom? Because I did this!" ( he proceeds to bow his head and close his eyes) My heart melted. It was so sweet! He said it with such faith and surety. I immediately had the feeling that this year would be just fine. That everything would work out just like it always does. Not just because Kyle got the teacher he wanted, but because my faith was renewed. This reminded me of last school year when there was just one teacher that I did not want Kyle to get. Any of the others would be great, I just didn't want a certain one for him. Well, Kyle had different ideas and that was the only teacher he wanted. His heart was set on her because she came to his class and met them all the year before and gave them a tour of her classroom. Well, when we went to the school to find out who our teachers were, I quickly looked up his name and saw it under that teacher. I was so disappointed. When he saw it he shouted, "YES! I got the teacher I wanted!" I shook my head and said, "You sure did. Your wish came true." He said,
"No mom, I didn't wish for her...I prayed for her."
I believe him when he says these sweet things. He doesn't say them over everything. I can tell certain things are important enough to bring him to personal prayer. I love it!
And... she was an exceptional teacher! Kyle had a wonderful year, what a blessing she was!
So...my uncertainty turned to faith.
I began to look forward to the new year and all the changes it would bring. A quote I love says,
I choose to grow.
It has been a month since school started and I am happy to report, it has been FABULOUS!! The kids are doing wonderful, The schedules all fall into place, I feel GREAT, I have fallen in love with my preschoolers, and everything has worked out fantastically!


No comments:
Post a Comment